19 December 2011

Finally

Well, I have finally racked that smelly Chardonnay and the worst thing I can say about it is that there is just a bit too much free SO2.  Since I did not do as clean a racking as I might have liked, I'll have to wait a week or so to bottle.  Yes, it is that close.  I may have to wait a bit after bottling to drink any, but patience is a virtue best practiced.  I am resettling the lees in the 'fridge.  Even though a refrigerator slows down any Brownian Motion and settling in general, it has the advantage of shaking in two modes.  One mode is when the compressor kicks in (small) and the other is when you close (slam?) the door (big).  These two modes of shaking help compact the lees, so it is easier to rack from a small (half) bottle.  It doesn't hurt that the cold does also slow down the oxidation, if you don't have a full bottle.  What is not to like about a 'fridge?   

No comments:

Post a Comment