21 August 2011

Age

Last month, I have had the experience of tasting three different, but fairly old Pinot Noirs.  Two were 2002, including my own and one was a 2003.  The two that were not my own were from the same winery, that will not be revealed.  First let's compare the two 2002's.  Of the two, I liked mine better.  Expected that did you?  Really, you would have as well.  Why?  Simple.  The commercial one was oxidized.  Not so bad that you could not drink it or tell what virtues it had when it was younger, but oxidized none the less.  What could cause this difference?  I don't know exactly, but here are some ideas.  Mine had more free SO2 when bottled and/or more tannins.  I really can't say about the free SO2, but I am sure about the tannins.  How do I know?  About 5% of the grapes were raisined when I made the wine.  That will increase the intensity of all characteristics of a grape.  As we all know wines that are made to age start with more tannins.  You knew that, right?  Good!  The 2003 obviously is just a year younger, but the difference between it and its older "brother" was remarkable.  There was just the sign that it was not a youthful red wine anymore, but still it was not "bricky". There was more fruit than either of the 2002's.  What would happen to the 2003 if it were a year older?  I don't know and I won't find out, as that was the last bottle I had.  Think of this as you are making your red(s) this year.  Maybe you will want to treat them a little differently.  

No comments:

Post a Comment