26 August 2011

Guide to Wine Grapes

There is a book that I have repeatedly turned to when determining what grapes to make wine from.  It is "Jancis Robinson's Guide to Wine Grapes".  I have the original version, printed in 1996.  From what I have heard, she is preparing a new version, which would be the third for those keeping count.  I should be out late this year or next year.  This is one book that I would recommend for any winemaker or viticulturist.  Why?  It rates the wine that is made from each grape.  Further, it does tell where the grapes are grown.  If you are looking for grapes to grow, then you will know if you have a chance of successfully producing wine from a particular grape.  Besides it is interesting reading.  Since I also have "The Oxford Companion to Wine" it looks like the information about wine grapes was extracted from there.  This is not bad as, "The Guide" did not cost nearly as much as "The Companion".  It is smaller and lighter too.  I don't know what format/size the new "Jancis Robinson's Guide to Wine Grapes" will be, but that is the least of anyone's concerns.  Do buy the book.  It is worth it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment