27 August 2011

Chardonnay

OK, I still have not bottled my 2010 Chardonnay.  However, that is good.  ???  Because I have been having "issues" with it.  OK, the issue is hydrogen sulfide.  I have fixed it with copper wire. The three short lengths were nice and bright when I put them in, but now there is a slight black tarnish.  Yes, they did the job.  That black tarnish is copper sulfide.  However, in the meantime, I did add too much potassium meta-bisulfite, so it has too much free sulfur dioxide.  That is MUCH easier to fix.  Here is what I did.  I did not siphon it off of the copper wires, as I normally would rack wine, but I poured it off using a large funnel, and did not try to be gentle at all.  This is worked.  Further, I did use some Chardonnay and Viognier from the resettled lees, so I got more than that which would fit in the six gallon carboy.  After rinsing/cleaning all of the equipment, I did take a sniff of what was in the carboy.  It was still high is free sulfur dioxide, but I could smell some wine.  This is most encouraging.  Before, I could only smell sulfur dioxide and it had no taste at all.  That is a lot like ATA (ATypical Aging), specifically the no taste/flavour part.  Now, what??  I just happen to have some Pixie Dust Noblesse.   How did I get that?  I was in the right place at the right time.  You can also buy some.  I have added some to a bit of the overage and I'll be judging that in a bit.  If it does what I want it to do, then I'll be adding it.  I'll let it settle and then retest and if it is what I want, then I'll be bottling it.  Finally!  Stay tuned.  

No comments:

Post a Comment